Choosing the right kind of material for plastic packaging bags is more important than many people realize. Whether you’re looking to maintain the integrity of products stored in the packaging or simply keep contaminants out, the right bag can mean the difference in success and failure for your business or projects. Add in the stringent requirements of food service or handling chemicals, and you have even more reasons to know your plastics – and choose between them wisely!
Not All Plastics are Created Equally
When most people think of plastic, they think of a single type of material. However, there are many types of plastics used in manufacturing, packaging and more. Knowing the difference in these types of plastic will help you choose which one is best for your needs.
Some of the most common types of plastics used today include:
- HDPE – High-density polyethylene – This is the most common kind of plastic, typically used for containers of everything from bottled water to soaps and detergents.
- LDPE – Low-density polyethylene – Because of its transparency, LDPE is often used in applications requiring plastic film or heat-sealing.
- PET – Polyethylene terephthalate – This type of plastic is most commonly found in beverage bottles and containers created through injection molding.
- Polypropylene – The high melting point of polypropylene makes it excellent for withstanding hot-filled liquids.
- Polystyrene – Polystyrene is perfect for food service applications.
- PVC – Polyvinyl chloride – PVC has great chemical resistance, making it excellent for both protective coverings and chemical containment.
With these guidelines in mind, choosing the right plastic for your containers comes down to knowing your needs and finding a company that can meet them.
Getting the Kind of Plastic You Need for Your Packaging
How can you be sure that you’re getting the best choice of material for your plastic packaging bags? Have them custom-made! Many producers of plastic bags and other products offer customized lots of bags designed for everything from lining industrial and waste management containers to wrapping and protecting the packaged goods your business distributes. Contact your local provider today for a price quote, and see just how easy it is to get the right bag for your project, every time!